Monday, July 23, 2007

Thoughts on Italia Unita














I stopped by the Italia Unita festival on each of its three days, and I saw a number of people that I hadn't seen in years, as well as all four of the candidates for the open House seat. The weather was nice, so it was the perfect weekend for such an event. I do, however, have a few items that I'd like to point out:

1. The food was much too expensive. I bought very little to eat at the feast because I decided not to pay more than I would regularly pay for something. A bowl of ziti for $8? Are you serious? A street festival is not a license to rip people off, but that's what happens. My understanding is that vendors pay $800 for a booth at Italia Unita, which makes it difficult for them to break even, never mind make a few bucks, during this relatively small-scale feast. It's too bad. I would have liked to try a sausage, some pasta or a slice of pizza, but I'm Italian American, so I eat those all the time. I'm not going to pay a ridiculous amount because it's a feast.

2. The bocce court was a dangerous place. In past years I remember seeing old Italian men playing bocce all weekend, but this year all I saw were kids throwing the balls around. At one point Saturday night there were a handful of youngsters wantonly heaving the solid spheres back and forth. The group I was with moved away for fear of being clocked. Here's a suggestion: Have someone on hand to supervise the court and to give bocce lessons. It'd be nice to see those same kids learning the rules and technique of the game. Now that would be spreading Italian culture, wouldn't it?

3. The featured musical performer was annoying. Why were Frank Stallone and his band playing loud rock and roll? How does that connect me to my heritage? I'm sure it's difficult to line up and pay for quality, interesting entertainment, but I just wasn't feeling it this year.

Having said all that, I'm glad there is a feast in East Boston, and I give credit to the Italia Unita organization.

6 comments:

Mid-Life Progress said...

On the topic of feasts and festivals in East Boston - there is another, not so large festival in the works for East Boston this summer. On Saturday August 11th, Sacred Heart Church will be hosting it's first Sacred Heart Festival, in the lot adjacent to the 303 Paris St. rectory as well as the adjoining segments of Paris and Brooks Streets. This festival, which is an expansion on last year's carnival, is being organized to raise money for and give visibility to the year round youth programming that is made available to all East Boston youths through Sacred Heart Church.

This exciting, new, hopefully-annual, event promises fun for all members of the community including games, activities, exhibitions and performances, vendors, a silent auction, Disco and a headlining performance from 70's Grammy winning soul group - Tavares.

For more information please send e-mail to Festival.Sacredheart@gmail.com.

Anonymous said...

The feast was terrible as far as entertainment and prices of food!
If this the way the Italia Unita Committee is headed then it wont last. we all dont have Ben Tauro's money.

EBItalian said...

In response to Anonymous, may I ask, did you ever give a donation? It's easy to judge and to criticize when you do not step up to the plate. Don't forget the event is FREE, if you think the food is too expensive you are not forced to buy it, and to criticize Ben Tauro- really please leave personal attacks to yourself.

As for Sacred Heart Festival, I think it's great that there will be another summer event which again is free to the public. Hopefully people will support it...

Anonymous said...

i agree with anonymus...the prices were rediculous...yes, the festival is free, but this is suppossed to be a community gathering, and our community doesn't have money growing trees for an $8 hot dog...this isn't fenway park!

Anonymous said...

I would say that the Portuguese feast in New Bedford is better than the feast in Eastie. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Ben Tauro makes this feast about him, don't kid yourselves. He is only concerned about portraying this image that he cares when he really doesn't give a damn about anything.
The feast should be about Italian heritage and NOT about individuals