Friday, February 27, 2009

Implementing change

Two of the main reasons that I voted for Barack Obama were to bring an end to the war in Iraq and to shrink the disparity of wealth in America. In the past 36 hours the president has made major steps in both of those directions.

Today, before an audience of Marines, Obama announced that combat troops would be out of Iraq by next summer, with all troops out by the end of 2011. Admittedly, those of us on the left would like to see American troops back home even sooner -- and we're also leery of the announced buildup in Afghanistan -- but I believe this president to be a man who listens to others and thinks before making decisions, so I am confident that Obama believes that this is the best course of action.

Yesterday, the White House released its proposed budget for fiscal 2010, and -- from what I've read and heard -- Obama hopes to cut wasteful programs, close unnecessary loopholes, raise taxes on the very wealthy and increase spending on his priorities, like health care, green energy and education. I agree with all of those steps. Some are calling the budget a redistribution of wealth, and I say, "Hurrah!" to that.

This is what I sent Obama to Washington to do. The work has just begun, but I am glad to see him doing it.

No comments: