Sunday, January 7, 2007

Sign of the times

As I took a few photos of the sign of a bakery in Davis Square, Somerville, I saw a small commotion inside the place and a woman came to the door. "Excuse me," she said. "Why are you taking pictures here?"

I explained that I thought the sign was cool and was then ready to tell her that I was on public property and could therefore take a photo of her sign if I pleased, but she said, "Oh OK."

This is not the first time that I've shot businesses and had an owner or employee worriedly confront me. Maybe it is post-9/11 paranoia, which is understandable to a degree, but really -- I don't think the terrorists are coming after our baked goods.

I actually did get chased away one time by a security guard at a condo development in East Boston that was in the midst of construction, as if I were stealing state secrets about plasterboard and brickwork.

5 comments:

Jason said...

A friend of mine from Presque Isle, Doug Dow, came out to visit me during a layover at JFK Airport in NYC last fall, and as he is both an accomplished amateur photographer and an over-educated art historian - as well as an over-educated but unofficial architectural historian - we took some pictures at the airport. Most notably the former TWA Terminal and the stained glass window installation in Terminal 4 but we were very forcibly told we were not allowed to be taking pictures of the TWA terminal. We found out that it was particularly off limits because it had recently been purchased by Jet Blue and the company didn't want anyone taking pictures of it while it still had the TWA signs. The very futuristic- (or '70s-ish-) looking TWA Terminal can be seen as the airport in the Tom Hanks/ Leonardo DiCaprio movie "Catch Me If You Can." We had no trouble standing in the loading zone and taking pictures of the stained glass though but from the outside it was impressive mostly in size and it was not accessible from the inside at all.

P.S. I just spent about a half an hour making this comment nearly perfect.

Jim said...

And that is why your newspaper pages are nearly perfect as well. Good to hear from you, Jason. I'll be checking out your blogs.

Jim said...

Further, I heard announcements on the MBTA saying that photography on the subway is not allowed and I've read that the MBTA stands behind that position, though they say there are exceptions for working journalists who get a permit and for tourists taking shots of family. It's totally unconstitutional.

Jason said...

i just want to make sure you noticed and used all of the links too. i'd hate all that hard work to go to waste.

Jim said...

Of course. I checked out every one. By the way ... I am still waiting to kick your ass in Trivial Pursuit.