Sunday, January 7, 2007

Tea time


A friend once gave me a gift with this printed on it: "While there is tea, there is hope." I'm not sure how literally true the expression is, but hot tea is certainly one of life's pleasures, especially on days that are damp or cold. Given a choice of how to spend time, settling down with a book and a cup of tea is near, if not at, the top of my list.

Tea is one of the items, like pasta and bread and chocolate, that is such an essential staple -- as well as an emotional part of who I am -- that when a doctor has told me that it might for some reason be a good idea to go without the drink (it could increase my uric acid; it could eventually darken my dental implants) I have responded that I choose not to do so. I gave up Coca-Cola (and all soda) nearly three years ago -- but that was an easy choice, as that stuff really is terrible for you. Tea, meanwhile, has all kinds of healthful qualities, in addition to tasting good, feeling nice going down and providing a relaxing accompaniment. I drink mine -- two to five times daily -- with no milk, but with a nice dollop of honey.

I've never liked American coffee, but in recent years I have become hooked on designer coffee drinks -- a latte or cappuccino (no more than one a day) is a nice pick-me-up and perfect for sitting at a favorite cafe and reading, talking with friends or people watching. At Diesel Cafe in Davis Square, Somerville, I opted for a nice pot of Chinese green tea yesterday and was well rewarded. I sipped and read for nearly two hours. If I could, it's likely that this would be part of my routine every day.

No comments: