Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Examining our lives

I took part, last evening, in a philosophical discussion with 40 or more others at a bookstore in Somerville. The Davis Square Philosophy Cafe meets on the third Tuesday of each month at McIntyre & Moore, and yesterday's topic was "Evolution Extended: What Kind of Creatures Should We Become?" Our group focused on whether human beings should be allowed to augment their bodies and minds using new sciences and technologies. The discussion was lively, and I offered my thoughts on the negative consequences of technology on our society to date.

Such philosophical discussions -- often called Socrates Cafes after the title of a recent book encouraging their creation -- are springing up around the country. There are monthly meetings in Cambridge and Chelmsford, and when I was living in Maine I attended one in South Portland. I have often dreamed of hosting some type of salon -- gatherings of people to discuss ideas, politics and art like those popular in Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries. We should, I think, look more closely at ourselves, our relationship to others and to the universe. "The unexamined life," Socrates said, "is not worth living."


No comments: