Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mango wild

Mangoes are, it seems, suddenly everywhere. With the influx of Latinos into East Boston in the past two decades, local stores offer a number of fruits and vegetables that are familiar to the people of Central and South America, but can be somewhat new to Americans. The mango may be the flagship fruit of this movement. (The photo above is from Karen Food Market on Bennington Street in East Boston.)

The flesh of a mango is quite tasty, though it can be difficult to cut with its long oval pit. I've read that the taste falls somewhere between a peach and a pineapple, and I guess there is some truth there, but for me the mango has a collection of tastes that are aromatic and exotic. I am learning how to pick mangoes and to cut them most efficiently. Also, I'm told that a squirt of lemon juice enhances the taste of the fruit.

1 comment:

zirelda said...

I was not incredibly impressed with the Mango. I prefer Starfruit (which I haven't seen for a while) and Kiwi. The new one that showed up here is Ugli fruit? Haven't worked up the courage to try that yet.