Thursday, June 14, 2007

Scenic Eastie

This week's Calendar section in today's Boston Globe mentions East Boston's Constitution Beach as "a small but beautifully maintained stretch of sand that yields to blue, windswept open water." The writer does go on to mention "the incoming 747s on one side and the rumbling Blue Line on the other," calling it a "surreal a beach scene."

As a child I was frequently on that stretch of sand on summer afternoons with my mother and sister. Once I walked out a bit too far, lost my footing and almost drowned. Back then we knew the location as Shays Beach (or Shay's or even Shades ... I'm not sure). It was a popular spot, but unkempt, with lots of trash in the sand.

The Wikipedia entry on Constitution Beach is one of several about Eastie that I originally wrote. The others include Orient Heights, Savio Preparatory High School, the East Boston Gas Surge of 1983, and the East Boston entry itself, which has received considerable editing and additional material from other Wikipedia contributors.

No comments: