Saturday, June 30, 2007

Beach day

A Boston Globe editorial today touts the charms of East Boston's little sliver of sand and sea under the headline "Still a gem despite the jets." Constitution Beach does look much better these days than when I was a kid, with a new bathhouse, playground and pedestrian walkway. Halfway through the piece the writer does mention a couple of old-timers she bumped into Wednesday at the beach who grumble about a few things.

In the last paragraph the editorial mentions something that I noted when I wrote the Wikipedia entry for Constitution Beach: that locals have always called it Shea's Beach (or Shay's). I hadn't seen anybody make reference to that in anything I could previously find on the Internet, and nobody seems to know the source for that name.

Also, look for the farmers' market that will take place at the beach on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. from July to October.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ am going to get my Latino community got out vote, formy friend Motta we known we have over a 900 hundred register Latinos in East Boston motta is significant player in the race, especially if the three other candidates stick it out and divide the remaining votes. On the other hand, I have a feeling that many longtime East Boston residents will be stirred into action by the prospect of a Latino representing our community u got my support don’t worry I will sit with u some times next week