Thursday, July 3, 2008

Is Iran next?

According to investigative reporter Seymour Hersh, writing in The New Yorker this week, there was a meeting earlier this year in Vice President Dick Cheney's office to come up with a "casus belli" -- a justification to go to war -- against Iran.

In fact, the article, titled "Preparing the Battlefield," discusses the covert operations that US Special Forces are already carrying out in Iran, crossing the border from Iraq. One part of the mission involves vast quantities of money, used to encourage opposition against the current Iranian government.

In this piece, and earlier Hersh stories, top leaders at the Pentagon have expressed their disagreement with the Bush Administration's plans to attack Iran, but those generals and admirals are either ignored or rushed into retirement.

Could our government be foolish enough to open up a full third front in this war?

2 comments:

Rocinante said...

Unfortunately, with this administration, the terrifying answer to your question is yes.
I used to take comfort in the date 1-20-09. I hate to wish time away but it can’t come soon enough!

John R. said...

In short Jimbo,God Willing!!