Sunday, July 1, 2007

Thunder and smash

At about 1:15 a.m., a heavy but fast-moving thunderstorm passed through East Boston, and five minutes into it a car smashed into a light pole on the median strip of Bennington Street, just a block past my house. The rain had already woke me, and the flashing ambulance lights intrigued me, so I went outside to see if I could get a decent photo of the scene.

In the fall, not long after I moved into this Orient Heights apartment, there was a horrific accident on my block that took out two light poles and damaged several cars. One of those small SUV-type vehicles -- a RAV4, maybe -- flipped over and dragged one pole into a second, spraying chunks of concrete all over the street. The sound was frightening, and I ran outside to find a scene that looked like a bomb had exploded. The driver and passengers apparently weren't hurt too badly, but the word I got is that the driver was clearly intoxicated.

I wonder if this stretch of street is always so accident prone?

No comments: