Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Boys & Girls Club for sale (Revised post)

I was told tonight by a local resident that the Salesians have sold the property at 189 Paris Street -- which housed a Boys & Girls Club for decades -- to Massport, which intends to use that lot for the affordable housing piece of the East Pier project. However, I have no confirmation on any of this, and a second source tells me that the building is, in fact, for sale, but hasn't been sold yet.

I saw a letter that was signed by Fr. John Nazzaro, the Club's new executive director, to Club members recently and is also on the web site. It says in part:
This is just a reminder that our Club opens on September 24, 2007. We are all looking forward to having you enjoy the wonderful programs we have planned for you.

This year we will be opening the Club full-time at our Byron Street Unit (Savio Hall). Unfortunately, we will not be able to open our Paris Street Unit, but we will have a van which will transport any Club member from the Paris Street area to Byron Street.
I will say right here that Fr. Nazzaro is a stand-up guy who I've known for years, though he is not my source on this, and I haven't spoken to him in weeks.

To fill in the blanks a little for those unaware of the finer points, the Salesians of Don Bosco are an order of the Catholic Church whose mission is to work with young people. The group has facilities, as well as priests and brothers, throughout the world. The main office for the works located in the eastern half of the US is in New Rochelle, NY.

The Salesians came to East Boston in 1945 and bought the Paris Street property in 1947. Eventually they started St. Dominic Savio High School at the corner of Bennington and Byron streets and the Salesian Boys & Girls Club at 189 Paris Street. As a teenager I attended the Club, which was on the opposite side of the block I grew up on, and I went to Savio. I would go on to work at both places.

The Salesians had other works in New England: a camp at Barrington, NH; a retreat house in Ipswich, MA; and Don Bosco Technical High School in downtown Boston. With fewer people dedicating themselves to religious life, the Salesians hired more lay staff to operate their facilities. This increased costs, as did the skyrocketing price of health care as more and more of their priests and brothers got older and retired, ending up at nursing homes. Barrington and Ipswich were sold, and Bosco and Savio were closed (though Savio was reopened by a lay board until last year).

That left the Boys & Girls Club, but dwindling resources seem to have impacted that program as well. Paris Street was an institution for a long time, and I met hundreds of people there who I now call friends.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

EastBostonRules
Says to Jimbo

I am shocked because I have had direct communication with the Reverend Heuser,who is the Chief Vicor for the Salesigns in New York as they were closing Savio.I asked him on numerous occassions what was going to happen with the closed buildings,and at No Time ever did he mention Massport being in negotiations to buy anything.

I have always been under the impression that Massport is restricted to its Logan borders,and can not expand in to the Community.

This is a scam,and a shame.The only people who ever were mentioned was the Excell academy ,and no one else.

My family owns property that directly abutts thier property,and they were never contacted by anyone,as was none of the other abutters.

This is not right.Here we go again with Massports deceptive practices.

Joe Mason
President
East Boston Land Use Council

Anonymous said...

fond memories of "Salesian's" here as well.. just had a real estate paralegal check the public record, thanks Sis, no transactions in the last 15 years... I'll follow up after a few days...

Anonymous said...

$1,799,200 assessed by city of boston, if sold to massport they would probably get it for $3,000,000
where are the neighborhood kids going
to go for a game of hoop now, paris st gym.....

Anonymous said...

Jimbo,

I am not sure what the revision is. Can you point it out.

Jim said...

Sure. I had originally heard, from one source, that the building at 189 Paris Street had been sold to Massport. I was perhaps hasty in posting that info, but hey ... this is my blog, not the evening news. A friend checked out the rumor and the information he gave me is that the building is still for sale.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's crazy man. They should really try to do something to fix that.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's crazy man. They should really try to do something to fix that.