Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sign pollution

After my interview with Carlo Basile a couple of weeks ago, we talked about a number of other topics. One item I mentioned is that I think it's ridiculous that campaign signs are left hanging or tossed to the curb long after elections are over. Carlo agreed and said that it was a pet peeve of his. He promised that his signs would be taken down within days of the election. I ask the other candidates to join him in pledging to clean East Boston of the ubiquitous signs in the days following Tuesday's election (though I suppose I can understand the winner keeping his or hers up until after the Oct. 23 general election).

On a related matter, some weeks ago a campaign sign for one of the candidates appeared on the house that my mother lives in, on Chelsea Street near Santarpio's. I thought it odd, because my aunt, who owns the building, is mostly apolitical, but I figured it was possible that someone had asked and that she OK'd the sign. I saw her today, and she told me that nobody had checked with her before putting the sign up and that she had asked her son, who lives in the building, and he hadn't given permission either. I don't like the idea of campaign workers taking advantage of the elderly by putting signs on their property without permission, and I wonder how often incidents like this occur. I will be taking it down immediately.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure its a Drago sign, they are the only ones that put up signs with out permission. I think that shows no class Jimbo.

Anonymous said...

It's most definitely a Drago sign. They put one on my house while I was at work, I took it down, only to find it back up again!

Interested in the issues said...

I agree this is wrong. I have had to take down a Basile sign from 3 of my properties a total of 5 times now. Ridiculous. Besides, signs don't equal votes and we all know that.

Anonymous said...

EastBostonRules
says to the Sign People

There should be a 30 day law that states very clear. Every candidate must take down thier signs ,or face a 20.00 dollar Fine ,Per Day,Per Sign.

With all of the proceeds going to Local Charities in Eastie.

Afterall,its us that had to put up with them being there in the first place.

Any suggestions !

Joe

Anonymous said...

Question.

INTERESTED IN THE ISSUES,

Are you Jeff Drago?

Interested in the issues said...

Seriously, I don't get you anonymous(the one that made the below comment). I respond to a post and because it makes "your choice" look bad I'm someone in disguise. Your beyond silly.



Anonymous said...
Question.

INTERESTED IN THE ISSUES,

Are you Jeff Drago?

Anonymous said...

really interested in the issues? what address might those be? Are you dropping more duds. Fizz Fizz...You are making Jeff look worse by the day. I love the picture of Trav, Anthony Sal and Jeff with the caption "TRUST" I trust that Jeff was part of a parking ticket scandal. yeah right I will trust him...NEVER

Interested in the issues said...

I would tell you that why? So you can spread it to your candidates camp?? Polls open in less than 11 hours. Get ready to vote.

Anonymous said...

Both Drago and Basile put signs on my family's property earlier in the summer, and Drago's camp had the nerve to ask why we took their's down (we took both down because we support neither of them). Unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

EastBostonRules

Says ,Kinda quoting President Regan

"Mr, & Mrs. Candidates "

"Tear down those signs"

Jimbo what we need is a conserted effort by all of them to tear down those signs.

ATTENTION PROPERTY OWNERS ALSO:
Do your duty also,if they are up on your private property tear them down.
Joe Mason

Anonymous said...

Mr. Mason, with all due respect, the general election is set for 10/23. Don't you think it reasonable to keep the signs up until then?

Anonymous said...

EastBostonRules

Says
Yes for the winner Mr.Basile ,who has taken down most of his.

I was directing my comments to the people who did not win.Sorry about that.

Joe Mason

Anonymous said...

Hi Folks,

Just stumbled on your Blog on sign pollution.

Here in Ireland, there is a statutory law that all election posters must be removed 7 days after the election. Penalties of €150.00 per day applies for any offenders.

Andrew

Anonymous said...

Signs, are you kidding. Get rid of the illegals or the neighborhood will never get better. They got the businesses, the church, and the clinic. I can't get people to move here they laugh. It is is embarassing when you are with professionals and they look down on the neighborhood. The place has gone nothing but down. I now speak spanish fluently. The so called professionals that bought in are now renting to anyone. I have seen this cycle before. Name one gentrified immigrant neighborhood let alone illegals.